Panel: Data-Driven Government Delivery: A Comparative Perspective
Chief Data Officer and Director, Data Growth and Operations
Fiona is Chief Data Officer and Director of Data Growth and Operations at the Office for National Statistics. She is an experienced digital, data, technology and policy expert with a deep understanding of the delivery challenges faced by public sector organisations. She has a track record in leadership through complexity, projects and people in both a policy and service delivery context. Fiona joined the Civil Service in 2006 as a generalist Fast Streamer at the Department for Transport, where she held policy, strategy and operational roles across aviation, roads and maritime. She spent four years working on exiting the European Union, leading transport and digital, data and technology readiness at the Cabinet Office, before moving to the Crown Prosecution Service as a digital technology leader, helping to transform criminal justice during the pandemic.
Fiona is married to Will, and they have three sons
Chief Data Officer, Head of Division, Federal Ministry for the Environment, Germany
Senior Executive Service, Department of the Air Force Chief Data and Artificial Intelligence Officer, the Pentagon
Eileen M. Vidrine, a member of the Senior Executive Service, currently serves as the Department of the Air Force Chief Data and Artificial Intelligence Officer, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia. She develops and implements strategies for enterprise data management, analytics, digital transformation, and responsible/ethical artificial intelligence to optimize performance and drive innovation in and across all missions and operations.
Ms. Vidrine returned to her current role following a one-year detail serving as the Senior Strategic Advisor for Data to the Federal Chief Information Officer, Office of Management and Budget, Executive Office of the President, Washington, D.C.
Ms. Vidrine began her government career in 1986 as an enlisted member of the U.S. Army and was commissioned in 1987 through the U.S. Army Officer Candidate School Program as a U.S. Army Transportation Officer. Later in her Army career, she was selected and integrated into the U.S. Army Acquisition Corps. She began her civilian career as a senior faculty member at the Joint Military Intelligence College and led the college’s technology transformation as the first Director for the Center for Educational Technologies.
From 2006 to 2012, Ms. Vidrine served in various positions of leadership at the Office of the Director of National Intelligence culminating as the Chief of Staff for the Assistant Director of National Intelligence for Human Capital. In 2012, Ms. Vidrine was selected to serve as the Department of Defense Intelligence Community Enterprise Architect assigned to the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence, Human Capital Management Office. In 2014, Ms. Vidrine assumed HCMO chief of staff responsibilities. In 2016, she was nominated by the Deputy Secretary of Defense and selected to serve as a White House Leadership Fellow, supporting the Office of Management and Budget and the Office of Personnel Management. After her fellowship, she was detailed to the Executive Office of the President Office of Administration. Ms. Vidrine was appointed to the Senior Executive Service in June 2018.
1985 Bachelor of Science, Ithaca College, Ithaca, N.Y.
1993 Master of Science, University of Southern California, Los Angeles
2009 Office of the Director of National Intelligence - Analysis Summer Hard Problem Program, Phoenix, Ariz.
2015 Intelligence Community Applied Systems Architecture Course, Herndon, Va.
2017 White House Leadership Development Program, Washington, D.C.
1. February 1986–October 1996, U.S. Army, various
2. October 1996–October 1999, Principal Systems Analyst, Teledyne Brown Engineering, Arlington, Va.
3. October 1997–July 1999, Senior Project Manager, Carney Interactive LLC, Alexandria, Va.
4. July 1999–January 2000, Senior Information Systems Security Engineer, Wang Global
5. January 2000–July 2002, Assistant Professor, Northern Virginia Community College, Annandale, Va.
6. July 2002–November 2003, Senior Faculty Member-Joint Military Intelligence College, Defense Intelligence Agency, Washington, D.C.
7. November 2003–August 2006, Director, Center for Educational Technologies-National Defense Intelligence College, Defense Intelligence Agency, Washington, D.C.
8. August 2006–April 2007, Senior Liaison Officer, Office of the Director of National Intelligence, Office of the Chief Information Officer, McLean, Va.
9. April 2007–September 2008, Program Manager for Distributed Learning, Office of the Director of National Intelligence, National Intelligence University, McLean, Va.
10. September 2008–December 2010, Technical Program Manager, Office of the Director of National Intelligence, Office of the Chief Human Capital Officer, McLean, Va.
11. December 2010–February 2012, Chief of Staff, Office of the Director of National Intelligence, Office of the Chief Human Capital Officer, McLean, Va.
12. February 2012–December 2013, Department of Defense IC Enterprise Architect, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence/Human Capital Management Office, Arlington, Va.
13. December 2013–November 2014, Deputy Director for Readiness (acting) Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence/Human Capital Management Office, Arlington, Va.
14. November 2014–September 2016, Chief of Staff, Office of the Undersecretary of Defense for Intelligence/Human Capital Management Office, Arlington, Va.
15. October 2016–September 2017, White House Leadership Fellow, White House Leadership Development Program, Washington, D.C.
16. October 2017–June 2018, Detail to Executive Office of the President, Office of Administration, Washington, D.C.
17. June 2018–December 2021 Chief Data Officer, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Arlington, Va.
18. January 2022–January 2023, Senior Strategic Advisor for Data to the Federal Chief Information Officer, Office of Management and Budget, Executive Office of the President, Washington, D.C.
19. January 2023–present, Department of the Air Force Chief Data and Artificial Intelligence Officer, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
AWARDS AND HONORS
2022 DataIQ Top 100 (USA Edition)
2022 CDO Magazine Global Data Power Women (2020, 2021, and 2022)
2021 FedScoop Fed50
2020 Washington Executive – Federal Chief Data Officer
2018 Office of the Secretary of Defense Exceptional Civilian Service Award
2016 Intelligence Community Human Capital Professional Leadership Award
2016 Intelligence Community Human Capital Profession Team Award
(Current as of January 2023)
Deputy Director General, Statistics Finland (official statistics authority of Finnish government), responsible for development and ICT services since 2020. Earlier positions include CIO at Helsinki Water Service and Business Manager at Tieto, the largest IT company in the Nordics. He has also played a central part in the digitalization of TV production at YLE, the Finnish public broadcasting company.
Mikko has worked in the cutting edge of digital transformation for over 30 years. He has experience from both local and central government, as well as from private sector. He has been working across many industries, such as media, telecom, finance, utilities, and the public sector. Currently he focuses on improving the management and speed of digital transformation of government data services. At Statistics Finland he has revised the whole development model, modernized the technological guidelines, and founded an AI lab.